AGSO Meeting: February 1, 2016 | 2:00 PM
Officers and Members Present:
- Dan Read
- April Smith
- Katie Reinberger
- June Brawner
- Katharine Napora
- Aaron Lenihan
- Stefan Brannan
- Jessie Dyer
- Jacob Weger
1.) Role of AGSO in Student/Faculty Disputes
- How best to go about solving issues grad students have if students are not comfortable going to the graduate coordinator:
- A more personal approach would be to go directly to graduate coordinator to talk to her about any issues that are brought up.
- Faculty rep will take on this responsibility in the future
2.) Mentoring program
- We want to make a panel about work outside of academia.
- Kat will send out an e-mail requesting panel participants.
- Pizza for SAS panel – maybe make it into the spring party afterwards.
- Travel Money (~$130)
- We will make a form for students to fill out for half of the $130 we have towards student travel
- Evaluation criteria ideas discussed include:
- Someone who hasn’t won the other awards? Maybe
- Any travel type
- Maybe an essay
- Maybe a poetry competition
- Why was this money useful to your career?
- Everyone come up with a question and some criteria and AGSO officers will vote by FRIDAY FEB 5, 2016.
4.) Faculty Meeting
- Scientific Writing Faculty Issue
- AGSO will not address this issue with the faculty.
- Faculty meeting notes should be confidential: No names on the faculty notes.
- Katie will follow up with Susan about leave of absence waiver request in the anthro department.
5.) GSA Activity
- Leave of absence policy
- President in GSA is taking the leave of absence waiver request
- If you have any personal stories you could add to this leave of absence request, you can e-mail the GSA president, Audrey Lewis, with your stories so that they can be included. Her address is email@example.com
- GSA is also taking on the 5 semester rule for applying for travel funds from the Graduate school. If you have any comments on this problem you can also email Audrey Lewis.
6.) Wilderness First Responder Course
- Jacob will send out an e-mail to see if anyone is interested in participating